Why not try baking a Simnel Cake this Easter weekend? This classic Easter cake is easy to make, and goes well with a cup of tea! I have made mine rather minimalist but feel free to add marzipan decorations, to give it your own flare!
Prep time 30 mins, cook time 1 hr 20. This can be made dairy free.
1 lemon (zest and juice)
500g Mixed Fruit
225g Self Raising Flour
2tsp Mixed Spice
3 large Free Range Eggs
175g Butter/Dairy free alternative
175g Light Muscovado Sugar
Marzipan (Pre made is easiest)
For this use a spring bottom tin (20 inches), for beating either do this by hand or use a food mixer/electric beater (a food proccessor will ruin the sponge mix).
- Put the lemon juice in a saucepan and add all the dried fruit, on a low heat bring the mix to a simmer and let it bubble for 2 minutes – make sure you stir this and watch for the liquid disappearing then remove from the heat and place the mix on a large plate and leave to cool.
- Line the base of a 20 inch loose based deep round cake tin with baking parchment. Preheat the oven to 150 fan / 170.
- Mix the flour and the mixed spice in a large bowl.
- In an electric food mixer, beat the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy looking. Once this is mixed add in the eggs one at a time.
- Now add in the flour mix in batches. Then the fruit, again in batches.
- Take the marzipan and roll it out into a circle about 5mm thick. Make sure it is big enough to touch the sides of the tin. (If you are using a spring bottom tin, remove it and use it as a guide for the size of the marzipan disc)
- Pour 1/2 of the mix into the baking tin, making sure the mix is level, add a disc of the marzipan. Then add the rest of the mix to the tin.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 mins – it should have risen be firm and golden brown. Once cool glaze with apricot jam which has been heated.
Have fun making this and enjoy your Easter weekend – Catriona McIntosh, Learning Intern 🙂